Monday, December 31, 2007

An Obituary

I hope the following does not offend but I felt moved to write it. It is a very small gesture, kindly intended and I hope not too badly executed.

2007 ended with the death of Mark Wakeman's Mum after a stroke. Mark Wakeman is a very gifted young man who I have known now for many years since he appeared in "Martin Chuzzlewit". I have got to know him better over the last few years through "Dude" and through his strong friendship with my son - in - law, the Natty Chap. Mark's Mum was a character in the best possible way. When she attended performances, which she did often to support her son, who is a prolific performer and playwright, you always knew she was in the audience. She made you feel good and special as an actor. She took me on one side just over a year ago and said I should play Hobson in "Hobson's Choice" as she thought it would be a perfect part for me. We were both more than a little piqued when the Chichester Festival Theatre included it in their 2007 season with John Savident in the role. We both thought that the director at Chichester must have been eavesdropping on our earlier conversation. Her generosity of time, praise and support will be missed by all of us but particularly by Mark and his Dad. My Mum died over thirty years ago, not long after the Best Beloved and I married. I still think of her lots and raise a glass to her memory on occasions.Her birthday is 6th April 1917 so my Mum would have been 90 in 2007. I know she would have loved Best Beloved, Firstborn and Kitten fit to bursting. I regret that she never had the chance to express that love. I am pleased that Mark's Mum had the opportunity to show how much she loved and was proud of her son. Those are the memories he must hold on to at this sad time of mourning.

No comments: