Saturday, December 22, 2007

Big Jimmy's Birthday

Today is Big Jimmy's birthday. If he had survived he would be 98 today having been born in 1909. Big Jimmy, by the way, is James Patrick Corrigan, sire to Peter John and Andrew Patrick. His favourite song was "The Mountains of Mourne" and I will have to play the song once during the day and perhaps raise a glass of Jameson in fond remembrance. I used to get the Kitten when she was singing with Amber, the girl trio, to sing "Danny Boy", which was another of his favourite songs. The old man was a mixture of John Wayne and Robert Mitchum in my imagination. I cannot watch either of these stars without fondly recalling my dad. He was something of a failure as a dad having divorced my mum when I was five. However even the judge at the divorce court proceedings had to admit it was one of the strangest divorces over which he had presided as both parties, but especially my father, appeared to love each other. It was just that though they loved each other they couldn't live together.



We have had the last minute scramble to find those last minute presents. We were unable to find a CD of Andrew Carter's Christmas music for the Best Beloved because it turned out to be one of the most popular CDs for some time, even play.com and amazon.com were sold out!



I am working on the video equipment for "Attempts on her Life" as Stage manager. It has led me into some interesting ways and byways of the electronics world. As usual I end up a bit overwhelmed or over-faced (as my Gran would say) by all the advice and help offered. I think I am getting a handle on what I want. One piece of advice was straightforward about working out what it was I wanted actually to do. The trouble is I don't know what I can do until I get hold of some equipment to have some trials. Once again I am reminded of the Pie Corbett advice: imitate, innovate and invent. I need to see some ideas or to be shown a range of what could be done before I can begin to decide what it is I want. This is also to be balanced with whatever the production throws up as well; the creative energies of the director and company have to be added to the mix.



I am also working on the role of the Stage Manager. I think we are going to need a Deputy Stage Manager for "Attempts On Her Life" so that he/she looks after the book during rehearsals or on the night while I try and maintain overall technical control. We may need a couple of ASMs to work the camera and projector. I also need to establish a routine with the Bench that I don't think exists yet. The Stage Manager is in charge of the show on the nights of performances. That includes FOH. There should be a House Manager but they deputise for the Stage Manager out front. The analogy would be the Chef in the Kitchen and the house staff in a restaurant. In other words the Stage Manager controls the calls to the audience and the curtain times not the House Manager. That voice you hear in professional theatres asking you to take your seats is usually the Deputy Stage Manager under instructions from the Stage Manager. We have had the situation where the Stage Manager sits and waits for the House Manager to tell them the house is ready. There will still be an element of that but the understanding should be clear that it is the Stage Manager demanding to know when he/she can start. The show is ready and the audience loses out by tardiness.



"Bronte" is auditioning on Monday January 7th and I need to be there as Movement Director. I need to get some ideas together before then as to how to ask the company to audition. There is a strong movement element in the play and I need to help the Director chose wisely. I have also suggested that the Director look at an Accents CD from the National Theatre on the Yorkshire accent to help the company gain the necessary expertise in dialect speaking. I can speak Yorkshire but helping others to master the accent is another thing entirely.



I have written to my film extra agency asking if they can substitute my head and shoulders portrait for my full length one in the initial display shown to prospective employers. I am hoping this will have some impact on my chances of being hired. I haven't appeared in any films yet and am beginning to annoy my family by taking the opportunity to say "I could have been in that" whenever extras appear on TV or in a film made in this country.



I am learning a poem to ease my memory cells into the task of learning considerably longer monologues such as "St Nicholas". I need to learn the poem for evening events on the 28th and 29th.



We are booking a canal boat holiday for the middle two weeks in June so need to include this fact in as part of my pitch for "Hamlet" in July 2008.



My cardiac rehab classes have closed down for the Christmas and New Year break (http://www.cardiacrehabphaseiv.co.uk/) so I need to fit in as much walking and exercising at home as I can this festive season. My weight is stuck at the 112 kg or 17 and a half stone mark. One New Year resolution must be to lose two or three stones in 2008. I did get down to 16 stone in 2007 but the technique employed was too scary to contemplate going through again.

I wish all my readers a very merry Christmas and a happy New Year. (I will probably get in another posting before the new year but just in case....) I do enjoy writing my blog and the fact that more than one person has complimented me on it is very reassuring. Sometimes it is just the trivia and minutiae of my life but occasionally there are glimpses of the passions that drive me.

No comments: