Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve 2007

I had to raise a glass of "Bushmills 10 Year Old Malt" to toast Big Jimmy's birthday yesterday as I hadn't any Jameson in the house. I am not sure that the old man would have minded too much but would have appreciated the gesture anyway.

I am learning "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost as my seasonal poem contribution to the evenings on the 28th and 29th.

I collected the turkey this morning and brought it safely home. I also visited Waitrose at some unearthly hour to stock up the drinks cabinet. I didn't buy any spirits as we seem to have plenty in stock already so concentrated on wine and soft drinks.

The Firstborn is downstairs at the moment setting the table for the Christmas meal. Kitten is installing some coloured lights in the kitchen. Best Beloved is sewing and ironing a pair of curtains for the dining room. I am sitting here typing up an extra blog posting. Other than that, everything seems in hand for the great festivities.

1 comment:

Trevor Hare said...

I sympathise. I was queueing outside Buckwells in Osborne road from 7:35 am today. Last year I was 4th in the queue. This year 6th. They are getting there earlier each year. At least everyone got a hot mince pie.

No Turkey here. No-one likes it at Maison Hare. Nasty yankee fowl. All puff and no substance. No, I handed over an obscene amount of money for our traditional rib-eye beef roasting joint. Needless to say it was joined by some of Buckwells peerless individual beef Wellingtons and 20 'Q' chipolatas and some of the Isle of Wight's finest bacon for christmas morning bacon buttys.

By the time I had finished there it was into Waitrose for more Tonic, limes, lemons, bread rolls and ....

at this point I had to drag myself to the cash tills because I had entered that dangerous 'zone' where I am shopping for the sake of it and DO we really need more Loo-bloo and bin liners anyway? The shops are open again on Thursday for Pete's sake! (Sorry Pete)

I will quietly toast your family's health later with a glass of Graham's Vintage 1996 Malvedos Port which was both a steal and a find (last bottle and only 22 quid) from an almost deserted Sainsburys yesterday.

Port is my 'selfish' drink. Thankfully no-one else likes it. My youngest daughter now loves Gorwydd Caerphilly, Quickes Cheddar and Cropwell Bishop Stilton and my eldest daughter likes my favoured brand of light ale, so almost nothing is 'sacred' around here anymore except liver (dipped in flour, mustard powder and black pepper fried in olive oil and butter) and my Port.

Ah, what halcyon days when a large wedge of crusty Stilton used to be met with shreiks of.. "Pooh, stinky!" and it was all safely mine.

Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas.

Trevor