Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Pompey changes for Saturday

I have discovered that I can't include Pennant in my team for Saturday's game against Liverpool as his loan agreement means he is no allowed to play against his own club. I have also learned that Kaboul is doubtful but that Kranjcar and Campbell might be available.

This would change my team formation:
James
Johnson Distin Campbell Hreidarson
Davis Basinas Mullins Belhadj
Crouch Nugent

Belhadj would become the main outlet down the left rather than Pennant down the right. This might cramp Nugent's style a bit but he has earned the right to start the game. Davis would not play wide right but central defensive as in my previous post. This should enable Johnson to break down the right as in previous games before Pennant's arrival. Campbell would replace Pamarot as club captain. Pamarot and Wilson would be my defensive substitutes if and when needed.

My 60 minute plan would have to change. Geras would definitely replace Nugent and Kranjcar would replace Crouch. This would change the format to 4-5-1 but with Kranjcar in the hole behind Geras. I could retain Crouch instead of Kranjcar if I felt there was profit still left in doing so. I could also do a change between Belhadj and Traore if I needed to freshen up the left wing attack.

My 75 minute plan, decided by whether we are winning or losing at that stage, is to have the option to send on Traore or Pele to join Kranjcar as attacking midfield players in place on one of Davis/Basinas/Mullins - probably the Greek as he might find the pace of the Premier League difficult to sustain in his first match.

This still leaves me two days to practise these changes with the squad. I believe the basic squad knows its job and perhaps only needs to run through set pieces with Basinas taking corners and free kicks. I would work on getting the ball behind the opposing right back to supply Belhadj. I would also practise the changes proposed for the 60 minute plan and possibly the 75 minute plan. The latter could almost be as much of a surprise to your own team as to the opposition and therefore only needs sketching in on the training field.

Play Up Pompey!

No comments: