Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Ladies of Letters - first episode

I watched the first episode of the "Ladies of Letters" starring Maureen Lipman as Irene and Anne Reid as Vera. I recognised the house used as Vera's as being the set in which I filmed my very short scene. I sat on the armchair visible in the lounge while at that time the sofa was occupied by technical crew, who were monitoring video screens perched on the coffee table of the filming going on elsewhere in the house. I climbed the stairs, which Vera is seen to fall down in the first episode, to meet the first assistant director and the director to have my part explained to me. The whole house was crammed with technical crew filling every nook and cranny so it is very interesting to see it looking so pristine and empty on screen.

I was very pleased to see one of my photos being used as Gerald when Vera is in the kitchen preparing a recipe that she is going to send to Irene. My photo is then given a close up full screen and a dollop of the mixture Vera is making lands on the bottom right of the photo.

I am hoping that other photos of me are used in further episodes leading up to my brief physical appearance. In order to justify my appearance, I need to be clearly identifiable as Gerald, Vera's dead husband. I didn't really meet Anne Reid as she was leaving the base as I was arriving, so we simply exchanged a polite hallo. Ingrid and I did spend an enjoyable day at Chichester watching the two halves of "Nicholas Nickleby" presented as matinee and evening performances on the one day. Ingrid sat next to Ann Reid and they chatted away amicably in the breaks - the best beloved as a real talent for doing that - old curmudgeon here prefers emailing to actually speaking. We were sat behind the late but lovely Anita Roddick of the Body Shop and somehow we seemed to get her involved in our conversations as well. Mind you, it was that kind of show that elicited oral responses picked up by those around you.

"To err is human, but to really foul things up you need a computer" Paul Ehrlich.

No comments: