Monday, February 02, 2009

Candlemas 2009

Today is Candlemas Day, midway between the Winter Solstice and the Spring Equinox. This is the day of the ritual purification of Mary and the blessing of candles in the church. As usual it is based on a pagan festival of light. We have a light covering of snow outside so what weather that forecasts for the rest of the winter I am not too sure. Apparently this date is also Groundhog Day!

It is also the second anniversary of my triple heart bypass so has become a very important date in my own personal calendar. I was reminiscing with the Best Beloved about it this morning and realised it was a complete blank to me. At first I thought it was my selective memory at work but then I realised that I spent most of this day and the next couple unconscious in 2007. I remember being prepared for the operation in the ward by two lovely nurses and then wheeled to the surgery suite. After that I remember coming round in the high dependency ward after spending two days in intensive care. Listening to the best beloved though I did get an inkling of how tough it had been for my girls and little brother. I am sorry for any pain I caused to anyone but am mighty glad to be alive, even with a covering of snow outside. Spring is on its way!

"There are two ways to spread happiness; either be the light who shines it or be the mirror who reflects it" Edith Wharton

No comments: