Sunday, February 22, 2009

Thoughts prompted by a folding bicycle

I read "What are you doing in there?", the blog of a fellow traveller in the foothills of life and experience. We have a great deal in common and it is quite sustaining to read others' thoughts and to realise how much we are prompted by the same needs. My friend, Peter, has just had a pop at the Abu Qatada case, half term holidays and bankers. He is more reasonable than I am as I can get quite apoplectic when asked to give my opinion. I call myself a liberal but some of my views come across as illiberal. However the remarkable thing about Peter's recent postings is he has reminded me of something I had once said I was going to do in my retirement.

Peter is going to ride a Brompton bicycle in the round of the Brompton World Championships at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire in September. Part of the reason for this ambition was when his son James cycled to Paris over a period of three days last year. I also was mightily impressed by James' feat but not enough to want to take to the saddle of a bicycle.

No my ambition is to walk 1100 miles in France from the Channel coast to the Mediterranean cote.

No comments: