Monday, April 23, 2007

Feeling foolish

I am feeling foolish. I have been an orphan for some considerable time now, about thirty or more years, almost as long as I have been married. This is the only explanation I can offer for mistaking my mother's birthday with that of my Auntie Doris, who was 86 yesterday and is still very well thank you living with her daughter in Blackpool.
In a previous blog I stated my mother's birthday as being April 22 and have had to ask my brother, the family tree recorder, when her birthday actually was and he is getting back to me. I have a vague recollection that she was born in 1917, which would have made her 90 this year. I would like to make reference to my mother in the Father of the bride speech I am preparing for Alice's wedding on August 25. As time goes by and events such as this year's sharpen the concentration, I feel such reminders are needed. If we don't remember our parents, why should our children remember us?

No comments: