Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Domestic bliss?

Ingrid has the bit between her teeth and is throwing herself wholeheartedly into transforming the house in this her first spring clean freed of work commitments. Something similar happened in the first three weeks of January when I concentrated on just cleaning.
The decoration of the lounge is now complete and we await the carpet laying on Thursday. We are negotiating with the furniture people to ensure our new suite arrives after the carpet laying but they only deliver one day a week so this issue is delicately balanced.
While waiting for the lounge to complete, Ingrid has attacked the spare bedroom. The end result is that both downstairs and upstairs are cluttered with items moved out of the rooms under decoration. The only resort for me is the garden, even though it was decidedly chilly yesterday. I watched, in the garden on my portable DVD player, Part 2 of La Belle Noiseuse, in which the incredibly beautiful Emmanuelle Beart spends most of the time naked. She has one of the most divine posteriors one could hope to see. However there is nothing salacious about the film as it deals with the creative process in an ageing master painter. More screen time is devoted to his attempts to render a likeness of Miss Beart on canvas so we see a lot of his hands and marks being made on blank canvas. The film takes a total of 2 hours 40 minutes on 2 DVDs and is supposed to represent the three days in which painter and model lock horns in a futile attempt to complete his final masterpiece. I am sorry to say the film felt like I had spent the entire three days in their company and except for the occasional divertissement of a naked Emmanuelle I really wasn't involved in the old man's story. Jane Birkin as the painter's former model and now his wife has certainly stood the test of time and gives the younger Emmanuelle a run for her money.
Wednesday sees the start of my cardiac rehabilitation programme in Langstone. I have set great store by this programme as I hope it marks the next stage of my recuperation towards the new me. At the moment energy still runs out and I can keep little in reserve, so feel I am marking time. A fellow heart sufferer says it took six months for full recovery, which means August 2.
I have ordered a medical dog tag from MedicAlert as advised by the ENT consultant from Southampton. This will inform medical practitioners that I am difficult to intubate (in ER, they refer to bagging the patient!) so if future medical aid or operations are needed, alternative arrangements can be taken. Apparently the tracheostomy was performed because I have "prominent lymphoid lingual tissues, reduced mouth opening and an infantile long epiglottis". The reduced mouth opening may account for some inarticulation encountered on the stage but will come as some surprise to those who have heard me in "full bellow".
The Bench Theatre are in the second round of a drama festival with "Grimm Tales" on Saturday and I am looking forward to supporting the event, especially as my Alice is taking over one of the roles (the actress is auditioning in London but is also appearing in Play It Again Sam at the Arts Centre so the firstborn is covering that part!)
May 2 is three months after operation and is also Ingrid's birthday. Dinner at Fat Olive's is planned.
May 3 is local elections and I am being a teller for an hour at a local polling station on behalf of LibDems (see previous post) although I have no idea what the task entails!

No comments: