Saturday, November 17, 2007

Wild Duck Reviewed

The review by James George appeared in today's copy of "The News": "This offering needs heating up to allow for dramatic burst of energy". Alice took all the criticism personally but I reminded her that for her first piece of solo directing this wasn't a bad crit. She was annoyed that a critic who doesn't like Ibsen (as he says himself in the review) should have been given the job over one who does like Ibsen. James George also finds David Eldridge's adaptation as stolid as its predecessors.

He does say (and here the old tart in me surfaces): "But there is some good work from Bench regulars David Penrose and Peter Corrigan, particularly Corrigan as the shambling, drink-ridden father-figure."

He praises Damon Wakelin as Relling. These three parts are the impact roles in the play, which is a full five acter. He pays Martin McBride a backhanded compliment. However there is no mention for the three female actors in the piece. The "News" Reviews do seem a bit male-centred recently. Admittedly he saw it on the first night and Ingrid the best Beloved who saw it then and again last night said there was an observable lift in performances.

He concludes by saying it was a "worthy and welcome attempt at bringing an under-produced writer's work to the area, though" so well done there Alice.

At the moment I am working on becoming the Stage Armourer for the Bench Theatre so that I have an official role in helping provide offstage gun shots and responsibility for onstage armaments and helping to organise stage fighting.

I am also intrigued by the "tempting outdoor site" at Staunton Park, which could provide a summer venue for the Bench season. I intend to explore this more.

I am tempted to offer myself as Stage Manager for "Attempts on Her Life". I am already committed to "Bronte" as Movement Director. I am interested in submitting a production for either the July or September slots in 2008. I need to have a pitch up and running by January 10th for initial submission to the Artistic Panel.

No comments: