Friday, November 16, 2007

Wild Duck First Night

This isn't a review of the show. I leave that to Mr James George who reviewed it for the News.

I spent yesterday preparing to deliver "The forest you see..the forest...the forest (he drinks) is the forest." If I say so myself I was pretty damn successful and it certainly established a character who could deliver "The forest takes its revenge" twice in Act 5. These had to be delivered sotto voce as directed specifically by the Kitten. I had been too loud and abrupt apparently in rehearsals.

Unfortunately I missed the line about not needing anyone's permisison to wear my cap indoors. I had practised/rehearsed at home yesterday the twirling of my cap in Act 1 in front of Mr Werle senior so I could mirror /echo the same effect in front of Mr werle junior in Act 2. I got the twirling almost spot on but was so busy congratulating myself that i forgot to say the line so the twirling was all for nought as the audience would understand the significance. Oh well another seven performances to get both significant lines about forest and cap into the scene together!

It was a better performance for me as a character as I began to feel genuinely moved in Act 5 during Hedvig's descent and even felt the prickling of tears. The final exit of my character still seems pointless but perhaps that is the point being made by the playwright - still pretty much of a bum deal for the actor though!

The show seems to be working better technically except the two starting pistols I have loaned the stage crew seem to fire ok before the show and in the interval but not when required in the play itself. Will try for a third starting pistol today unless one needs a licence these days. The sound system collapsed backstage so we were still struggling on cues and some bugger was playing loud music outside in the foyer. This made me very fraught waiting for my first entrance and I don't like fraughtness.

No comments: