Monday, November 26, 2007

Wild Duck Lands

It was great on Saturday night as the performance of "The Wild Duck" was one of trhe best we gave. It all seemed somehow to come together. One of the factors was the audience, who seemed so alert and so responsive to the detail of plot and character.

It was no surprise afterwards to find Barbara and John Spiegelhalter had been in the audience. These two are such good company and always make me feel good about myself. They are also two of the most politically aware people that I know and are supportive of my embryonic political ambitions and awakening. In an earlier post I covered the fact that I didn't stand for nomination in my local ward because of the operation an dits aftermath. I am beginning to become more involved and more interested in the local Liberal Democrats. I have voted for my choice for the new national leader (more on that later in the week) and I am attending the local party AGM on Thursday night.

Also at the last night performance was Trevor Hare and his daughter. Trevor used to be a Bench member about thirty years ago. He has indicated an interest in taking the dress rehearsal photos for "Attempts on her Life" in February 2008. We have had a number of people doing this for the last few productions but it would be good to find someone to approach rather than havuing to cast around at the last minute. The photos provide a valuable record and become a resource for the Bench archives. Trevor also has very strong feelings about the political scene as well and has rationalised some of the points over which I still have a very hazy understanding. I like bouncing ideas off of him and seeing what shape they come back in.

Yesterday started as Stage Manager for the next Bench production of "Attempts on her Life" by Martin Crimp. If you follow the link to the left to Nathan Chapman's blog, you will find anothe link there for his production blog on "Attempts on her Life" as he is directing the same in February 2008.

I also had a very interesting chat with Robin, who is the producer. She mentioned going to see "St Nicholas", a Conor McPherson monologue in Guildford. I have put in an order for this play as it was one of those projects designed to help me stretch my memory cells. I shall watch her blog with interest (even more so than usual) to see how her ideas about "St Nicholas" pan out.

I have started work on my "Hamlet" pitch or presentation for the July 2008 slot. This has to be ready by January 10th so I can present it to the Artistic Panel prior to getting the go ahead to present it to the company as part of the play selection process at the end of January and beginning of February.

I am also toying with the idea of putting in a submission for the one week slot in September 2008. I know there are lots of reasons why I shouldn't but I thought I would let the Artistic Panel or the company dissuade me rather than do so myself. I have a number of modern plays in mind at the moment but a chance conversation as brought "The Pillowman" by Martin McDonagh to the fore.

I am meeting the British Heart Foundation lady tomorrow to discuss how I might support the BHF locally.

I am also researching stage armoury and movement directing so I can offer Clun Nights and do a better job on "Bronte" in particular, where I have been taken on as Movement Director again. Auditions are coming up soon for that so I need to get my act together.

Busy blissful days!

No comments: