Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Spring Term 2007

My pork chops with apple went down a storm last night and I am looking forward to cooking roast lamb for this evening's repast!

My first day as a retired primary school teacher started today and I have been inspecting my feelings. It felt like a management day as Ingrid left for her school - one of those days I had occasionally as deputy head when I worked from home. It certainly didn't feel like a changed life moment. I had my breakfast at about 8.15 a.m. which is a little later than I would usually but then Ingrid has a PPA (Planning Preparation and Assessment) morning. This just reinforced the impression of a "managemen" day.

My main task this morning has been to read a script for an independently financed short film shooting in mid-March and apply for a casting call on Saturday 3rd February as the main character, a retired spy master. The image of Alec Guiness as George Smiley in the TV Smiley's People springs to mind. I will keep you in touch with how things develop. One interesting side aspect so far was that the director was after people based in and around Portsmouth. It isn't as if Havant is miles away in the Hampshire countryside. If Farlington qualifies as a suburb of Portsmouth (does it?) then Bedhampton should. I assured the director that I could walk from my house to Fort Widley, the main centre for location shooting.

The chance to answer the casting call came from Mark Wakeman who had received it as part of the mail directed to the Bench Theatre I presumed, although he may have contacts as he has done this sort of thing before(filming that is). Anyway, if it comes off, it will look good on my CV for film extra work (and if anyone else knows of short films being made and looking for actors, please do let me know). To date I have had one reply saying I am not on their books for the first part of the year but, if I would like to reapply, I should submit another application form, updated CV and some professionally taken photographs. To this end I have contacted Penny at Japics Portraits and am waiting an appointment with her next week. Penny is married to John Plimmer, who was cajooled back to do the dress rehearsal photos for His Dark Materials - much of the archive material of the Bench Theatre is based on the production photographs taken by John. He is really a marvellous photographer and he and Penny run the company. I also know Penny because her parents, Terry and Robbie, are good friends of ours since their days as part of the Bench company. We have known them for some considerable time now. They sensibly upped sticks and went to live in France in Duras near Bergerac. I always secretly admired their courage in doing so but know that I don't have the balls to do the same. We, and the girls when they were younger, have spent parts of our holidays as guests of Terry and Robbie, who are sublime hosts and real fun to be with. One of the things that really impressed us is that they joined the community theatre in Duras, not the ex pats but the real life French company! We were privileged to see one of their performances in the chateau grounds - a wonderful intoxicating (and on my part intoxicated) night - it lasted after the collapsing of the set into dawn choral singing at the French farm of one of the other performers. Thank you, Terry and Robbie, and hope to meet up again in 2007.

Now what shall I have to go with the roast lamb?

No comments: