Sunday, September 23, 2007

Respite

My posting today comprises of two pieces by other people. However they are so apt I just felt it was necessary to include them.

The first was the "Wyse Word" by Pascal Wyse from Saturday's Guardian. I have raved before about "Wise Words" but this one seemed so pertinent as even the amateur drama world in Portsmouth awaits agog for the Guide Awards. So to all you nominees from the Bench out there, It is time to start practising your "Grince".

Grince One of the most challenging faces an actor has to pull, used at ceremonies when another performer wins an award for which you were nominated. It masks violent disappointment with an air of relief that the judges made, of course, the right decision. The other guy really deserves and needs it.

The second piece comes from my mother in law, Enid Caddy. Enid is a bit of a poet and produces the occasional ode. "Respite" is particularly topical as Ingrid (Best Beloved) and Zoe (Firstborn) are seeing her established in Belmont Castle for the next ten days while we are away in Spain.

Respite


I’m going to go into ‘Respite’
Respite from what I’m not sure.
Perhaps it’s because they don’t trust me,
That I won’t eat or fall on the floor –
I like all my favourite things round me,
Like puzzles and eye drops and pens,
Strepsils and make-up and papers
And tissues that have to be ‘mens’.
The telephone, mirror and timer
That rings when I’ve fallen asleep.
Not that it makes any difference,
I never can hear it go beep.
Then there’s the knife for opening my letters,
The water for taking my pills,
My helping-hand with its long handle
That helps me recover my spills.
My earpiece that connects to the telly,
The bleeper I press if I fall.
The neighbours who pop in to see me
And dear Ingrid who’s always on call.
But my life style will have to different
So they have peace of mind while away,
And I’m sure I shall like being pampered.
So two weeks in ‘Respite’ – OK.

Enid Caddy
Sept 2007

See you all when we get back unless I am prompted to do a Kitten while I am away. Adios, amigos.

1 comment:

Cracked Actor said...

I like that poem from Enid. It did make me chuckle as the words of Amy Winehouse sprang to mind. I can imagine the song, now: "Ingrid made me go to respite, but I won't go, go, go!"