Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Publication

My Pompey Stadium (see previous post) was published in the Bank Holiday Monday edition of the Portsmouth News yesterday. Hurrah!
The ramshackle open house event held annually on the early Bank Holiday Monday took place under the groaning gazebo, which threatened to part with its moorings on several occasions thanks to the strength and direction of the wind. The rain held off (having tipped it down during the night) and the oldies like me sat outside while the youngsters sat indoors. I hadn't anticipated twenty people but there was a good buzz. Two of the guests actually moved our huge three piece settee to a better position in the lounge! I was disgraceful as usual and drank too much wine and ate the wrong kinds of food. In the end I had to go to bed at 8.30 p.m. and was fast asleep within seconds only to be woken at half past midnight when best beloved came to bed having cleared up downstairs. I tossed and turned for the rest of the night, perhaps guilt at not doing my fair share of the clearing up, but more likely dehydration from the alcohol and barbecued food.
I did have a twinge that my son in law and my best friend who work at Havant College did have to share the event with some of their own students. I hope it didn't spoil their day off work too much!
Best beloved has gone off to school this morning to help with a school trip to the Iron Age farm on Butser that she had arranged with her successor as Year 3 class teacher.
I am off to Port Solent to see The Last King of Scotland in a 11.00 a.m. showing for us oldies. Last Tuesday afternoon I saw Blades of Glory and Fracture at the Gunwharf Vue. The first was a screening for me and two others and the last was for me and three others.
Tonight we are off to the Chichester Festival Theatre to see the Press Night of The Last Confession, a new play starring David Suchet about the machinations of the Vatican on the unexpected death of a Pope.
Hi ho for the life of a retiree!

1 comment:

Cracked Actor said...

I had a lovely day Peter! Felt very groggy due to the wine and having to be at work at 7.30 this morning (work - do you remember that?). Rest assured that the presence of Charlotte, for she was my only current student at yours yesterday, was in no way a dampener for me. I imagine it is more traumatic for the students than for us. Poor girl - what on earth must she think of me!