Saturday, November 21, 2009

MLB 2

MLB is an inbuilt device for measuring how long I have been sitting and waiting. Wednesday was one of those days when my ability for sitting several hours staring blankly into space was severely tested although I seem to have had a lot of practice since retiring. MLB became so pained at my lack of movement that it threatened to part company with the rest of me and no amount of shifting, rubbing or raising it off the seat would placate it.

I had been carrying a slightly aggravated cyst in my right groin for some time but it chose Sunday of the get in and technical rehearsals of my current production with the Bench Theatre, "What the Butler Saw", to begin to flare up and to start causing problems and pain. I had already seen my GP on a previous occasion and had antibiotics standing by for such an eventuality. However on the Monday I found myself confined to bed (TG I don't work these days) - this is something my body seems to do if I am sick - and I realised that I was exhausted as well as having problems with a cyst. Dress rehearsal on Monday night was done with gritted teeth and on masses of adrenalin. I always quote "Doctor Theatre" at my girls and do believe that as long as you can get on the stage adrenalin will carry you through. Unfortunately this production of adrenalin does have a payback as you tend to exhaust even further your natural resources so Tuesday was also spent in bed in considerable discomfort. The dress rehearsal that night was marked by an increase in the pain level but I took that as a sign of improvement (on what grounds I am now unsure). However a look at the site when I got home was sufficient to convince me that I should see the GP in the morning. The cyst wore a perpetual darkened frown and the surrounding area was infected and sore.

Suffice it to say that I found myself in the G.P.'s surgery next morning. He took a close look at My Problem and then promptly sat down to write out instructions for the hospital while carefully explaining the situation to me. I would need antibiotics intravenously and some surgery so I was being sent to the Surgical Assessment Unit. There was a surreal moment when I tried to work out if the appointment would arrive after the production or whether it would fall on the Monday break in production before the Tuesday performance which starts the run of last five performances. The GP looked at me bemused when I asked the timing of all of the treatment he was suggesting. He said I had sufficient time to go home for an overnight bag before taking the document and file to the SAU at the hospital. An hour later the Best Beloved and I sat in the Treatment Room of the SAU awaiting assessment.

No comments: