Thursday, October 08, 2009

Adieu, Party Guest

We gave our final performance of this year's Bench Theatre touring production of Jacquie Penrose's "Party Guest" yesterday. This has been the realisation of one of my retirement dreams - a small scale touring production during the daytime. The production still has life in it and we are looking forward to a revival in the Spring. The revival may still have a touring element. What has been lovely has been performing with friends who I admire and to young people. I have been really impressed by the students we have met, by their questions and their observations. I love theatre and learn something new every time I embark upon a new enterprise. David was quoting Stanislavsky at one workshop session: "The audience comes to the theatre to see the sub-text. They could stay at home to read the text." I love that thought and it is certainly light years away from my "learn the lines and don't bump into the furniture."

I did have a project in mind to put forward at the recent play selection pitches for the Bench Theatre July 2010. I have been toying with the idea for some considerable time. I could claim that the timing of the pitches was particularly poor for me. On the night itself was the first night of the Ghost Walks, we were into the second week of the literary festival, Party Guest was in full swing, we had started our Tale Tellers sessions at the spring, I was still recovering from a new Cloak and Dagger script and was cramming lines for my appearance as William Cobbett at the end of the festival. My head was certainly crammed with lines from five or six projects. I could claim that any one of these activities as a reason for my lack of push on the new production for the Bench.

It would be untrue if I claimed it to be so, though. I have read today the wonderful blogs by Alice in Wonderland and the Natty Chap, and must confess myself mightily impressed by them (and indirectly by my Firstborn, see Natty Chap's blog). I have thirty years on either of them but can relate keenly to what they are expressing. I can't offer them any help or insight. However I have to thank them for helping me to face up to what motivates me.

I have only directed 12 times over the last 30 years: two pantomimes - one repeated twice- and a full scale musical. The last time was the repeated pantomime in February 2000. I have to point out that I have done on average 2 or 3 school productions per year over that time so that must be in the nineties - many of which I wrote or devised myself. I like directing as I love visual images and have a feeling for sub text. I am a little too much of the school master in approach but hey I was a teacher for forty years!

I like directing but I love acting. After my episode two years ago I am enjoying my health and new lease of life. I would rather spend the time performing and acting than directing. I am constantly on the lookout for new experiences, new productions and new companies with which to work. While I am still feeling fit and active that is what I will continue to do. I don't want the responsibility of or commitment to a production as a director. I also don't want to parcel out my time. I don't want to wait until July 2010. I don't want to feel inhibited. Maybe when I am in my seventies and my physical strength and activity is gradually reducing (although the grey matter is still fully functioning) I can turn my attention to directing. Those who can, do - those who can't teach.

The Best Beloved also says we are going camping for a month in June 2010. Hurrah!!

1 comment:

Baldy Bastard said...

So when you say you might revise The Party Guest, did you mean "in the spring", or "in the spring"?!