Thursday, January 24, 2008

Happy Birthday to me!

Yes, folks, I was 61 on Thursday. Hurrah for me!


I was up at a very early hour in order to transport the Best Beloved into hospital for an examination. I won't go into too much detail here but we were calculating how many birthdays of mine had been blessed with visits to the hospital of either myself or the Best Beloved. Her visits actually outnumber mine.


I had a new crown put in on Wednesday so spent most of the afternoon and evening feeling that my lower lip must resemble one of those African tribes which insert plates into the lower lip for show.


I read Paul (Himself) on "Archimedes" (see link on page to the right) re Northern Rock and do so agree about the bank being taken into public ownership. I am sorry about the rights of the shareholders but they did invest in a bank that nearly went bust! I don't think the taxpayer throwing away enough money "to run Wales for 2 years" just so the shareholders can make a profit is the right approach to economic efficiency. Public ownership with professional managers parachuted in to steady the ship until it can be sold at a propitious time to return the taxpayers' money and the shareholders' dividends seems a wiser plan. If the individual shareholders want to abandon ship in the meantime, good luck to them.


In the end decided not to go up to Anfield to support Havant and Waterlooville FC in their fourth round FA cup tie against Liverpool. I had a couple of offers to go up and get tickets. However I decided it was too long a journey to get up there and an even longer one to get back, especially if the Hawks happen to lose. I don't think I have put in my apprenticeship on the West Leigh terraces yet. Trouble is, I intended doing that before their FA Cup success but now everyone will say I am only doing so to jump on the bandwagon! If I had thought about it, I could have gone up Friday night to Bradford, stayed with my brother, crossed to Liverpool and back to Bradford on the Saturday, before coming home on the Sunday. Still, never mind, the Natty Chap has got us a couple of tickets in the North Stand at Fratton Park for the Pompey clash in the fourth round with Plymouth Argyle. I am looking forward to seeing Lassana Diarra play - Terry the Tiger in Cardiac Rehab Phase 4 has been singing his praises all this week! I have just realised this paragraph should have gone in my other blog as it is football and Pompey. Birthdays, eh?


Well done the Hawks! Leading Liverpool at Anfield 2-0 at one stage before crashing out in more predictable style in the second half!

In a marriage one partner is nearly always right. The other one is the husband.


That sprang to mind from out of nowhere.



My birthday celebrations were held on Friday as 9 of us attended a screening of Tim Burton's version of the Sondheim musical, "Sweeney Todd" followed by all 9 attending a meal on Gunwharf. Burton has cut the opening song, "Demon Barber of Fleet Street", but the other songs are in there sung by Johnny Depp (one of my very favourite actors, "Finding Neverland" for example) and Helena Bonham-Carter (Tim's partner). I will have to write a review for my other blog. I had to get in some preliminary consolation for Long Tall Sally, as she is a Plymouth Argyle supporter. However not much consolation as they gave Pompey a run for their money on Saturday. It was hard to distinguish which was the Premier League side - not one of Pompey's most accomplished games.


At my weekly weigh in I was 112.2 kg. or 0.8 kg or 2 lbs down from 17 st 11 to 17st 9. Yes I know, Little Bro, I am still a good three stone or so overweight but I am trying. I expect I might be sorely tempted this week with my birthday meal and then next week with the trip to Spain. However if I can keep my weight the same I can then try again over the next few weeks.

We have decided to go ahead with the extension which should start at the end of July and go through to the beginning of October. The upheaval will be worth it I am sure (?) but begins with a visit to day to look at kitchen plans. Oh joy!

Kitten starts a series of classes with the London Actors' Workshop today so am looking forward to a progress report when she gets back. Hopefully it will inspire her to write an update post on her own blog.

No comments: