Monday, January 14, 2008

Fare thee well, sweet Hamlet!

Congratulations to the hawks on their historic victory against Swansea. Havant and Waterlooville FC now have to travel to Anfield on Saturday 26th to meet Liverpool in the fourth round. Natty Chap, the son in law, is tempting me with an offer to accompany me on a round trip to Liverpool and Anfield. Greatly tempted as the tickets are very reasonable but the journey is a bit of a slog.

Pompey were poor at Sunderland, where they were roundly thrashed. The players at the African Nations Cup were sorely missed. However the defence had a real off day so it shows how much the midfield had been protecting them. It wasn't helped by 'Arry's perverse descision to put Mendes in the holding role and push Hughes into the midfield. Hughes is good in the holding position but crap up front. Mendes is crap in holding position but could be a playmaker up front. Nugent was crap up front as sole striker and not much better when joined by Benjani in second half. Benjani was wasted on right flank in first half. The need for a striker and right sided midfield player is just screaming at everyone. The Pompey midfield never got a foot on the ball to control the game and never got any service forward to the strikers, so we were toothless as ever. Mvuemba and Songo'o are not up to it. All in all the team were brought down to earth with an almighty thump and expectations need to be revised and much more realistic. Lassana Diarra joined us from Arsenal for a £5.5 million switch and the Frenchman will be a very welcome addition to our midfield. I don't know how instrumental he was in yesterday's 3 -1 victory over lowly Derby. I am glad Benjani got a hat trick - it helps my fantasy football team! However I still don't feel the squad is strong enough. Apparently Lee Hills, the Crystal Palace full back, who I have mentioned a couple of times as a youth target, is a target for the first team. Jermain Defoe is still a major target as Fred from Lyon expected to go to Spurs. Fenerbahce's Mateja Kezman is said to be a target as well. The Serbian international is a renowned number 9, but has suffered from lacklustre performances this season because of a ligament complaint in his right leg. When I last heard he was going to undergo surgery, which would put him out for a considerable time and make him miss Serbia's Euro 2008 fixtures. Not a solution for Pompey, I feel.


On Tuesday weighed myself at 113 kg or 0.6 kg or 1lb down on last week, which is good news. I did n't attend exercise class on Tuesday because I was at the funeral of Babs Wakeman.


Her son, Mark, gave a marvellous eulogy, which made people smile , laugh and cry. It was a fitting farewell to Babs and she would have been pleased by the turnout and the response. I liked the bit in the service where the minister said it was a farewell but not goodbye. I also liked the anthem, "We are the Champions" at the end. It was good to end on an upbeat, an uplift.



I see Northern Rock owe us £26 billion plus £30 billion held in contingency to cover liabilities. We are being held over a barrel by shareholders whose investment is a mere £300 million. Am I being silly in wishing for a nationalisation with professional managers parachuted in to hold the business steady until such time as it can be sold with a higher probability of getting our money back?


Went for a cholesterol blood test on Wednesday and am hoping for a result showing a lowered cholesterol level. Back in July 2007 I was measured at 4.7, which was on the way down from what it had been but my cardiac nurse felt it still had some way to fall. I read in an article about someone whose cholesterol level had dropped to 2 from 4.

I was very edgy this week. I can only presume it is the psychology kicking in as it is the anniversary of my heart attack on Monday. I have felt tired this last week for no apparent reason and suspect my biorhythms are down anyway. A good cholesterol level (to be expected with statins daily) would reassure me I am going in the right direction diet wise. I still drink more alcohol than is good for me but I have certainly cut back on previous amounts. I enjoy a good wine with food though and a daily glass of red wine is good for the Mediterraneans and therefore for us.

I decided on Thursday just before the Bench Club Night to withdraw my submission for doing a production of "Hamlet" in July 2008. I have tried to explain why in my linked blog called "Bench Hamlet July 2008". I shall now use the Hamlet link for my feelings and thoughts on productions I have seen and on Pompey!

No comments: