Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Sporty type

I spent nearly all of Sunday (except for a break late afternoon for fresh air and to enjoy the sights and sounds of nature) and most of Monday glued to the Test Match coverage against India. England almost did it and I was really impressed by the new attack of Anderson, Sidebottom, Tremlett and Panesar. It was the weather that did for the game but morally we were 1-0 up. However we start again this week but will need to fit it in with the Asia Trophy Final on Friday afternoon.

I was delighted to be able to watch Pompey play and beat Fulham narrowly yesterday. Last season both home and away Pompey and Fulham came away with 1-1 draws. Yesterday's match was decided by a late goal in the first half by Benjani. For much of the game I thought Pompey's approach work was definitely the classier of the two and we still have one of the meanest defences around. Sol Campbell was man of the match and complained when he was substituted before the end. He certainly qualifies as a man mountain. Primus will once again have to work really hard for a place if he is to dislodge Distin. However talk of a three man back line would suit Linvoy working with Campbell and Distin. I still don't feel - and I know this is still early days - that the side has real teeth up front. Benjani and Nugent strike me as somewhat similar in that they will work really hard upfront as leading striker. However neither are the finished product as a scoring machine. There is still room for a Fredi Kanoute and definitely for a Defoe (both would be great!). We didn't get chance to see the torpedo, John Uttaka, in action and perhaps we will against Liverpool on Friday. My personal feelings are that we still need a wide player and SWP would be a personal choice.

I am enjoying my Friday sessions with Debbie Hobbs (Best Beloved even came with me last week) and have signed up for the Leisure Centre gym as a result. Debbie said 15 miles a week over a year would lose a stone without resorting to diets. So this is my target and the gym's treadmill will allow me to round off 15 miles if not achieved during the week, especially if the weather is inclement. I don't mind rain but find mud a drag.

Debbie's group also produces a newsletter, from which I extract the following story (my thanks to Liz, the newsletter editor). Mike, an 82 year old man, is potted walking down the street by his doctor. Mike has a gorgeous young woman on his arm. The doctor stops him and asks what he is doing. "Following your instructions," replies Mike. " I have got me a red hot mama and I am being cheerful."
"No, Mike," said the doctor. " I said you have a heart murmur and you should be careful!"

No comments: