Saturday, July 14, 2007

Acting

The best Beloved and I spent five days en Picardie under canvas (sous la tente). The weather wasn't great but the only rain we had was during one night. We had a lovely time and talked about many things including one of our favourite topics: being an actor.

I also bought a Daily Telegraph on the Saturday. Don't always read newspapers on holiday but the Saturday morning ritual at home with the Saturday Guardian is one of life's eternal pleasures. I couldn't get the Guardian at the campsite and they were a day behind so I was reading the edition of Friday July 6. After the sports page, I turned to the Friday reviews and in the Film on Friday reviews found an interview with a French film star. Romain Duris is one of the "hottest of a new generation of actors". At the moment he is starring in "Moliere", a French film, but is working on "Afterwards" opposite John Malkovich and Evangeline Lilly. It was some of his thoughts on acting that attracted my attention as they backed up some of the conclusions Ingrid and I had reached. The article was written by Sheila Johnston.
In one scene in "Moliere" he impersonates different breeds of horses. He says, "You have to get close to being ridiculous and your commitment then saves you. If you become afraid, suddenly you're inhibited and it doesn't work at all. I didn't go to acting school and can't fall back on a method. So it's always both mind-blowing and enjoyable."
" I play characters who ask themselves questions, are seeking something, are somehow unfinished, or immature."
"I don't know. Maybe I take emotions too much to heart.I'm never happy with what I do. ..... Doubt i s there constantly - the main thing is not to let it eat you up."
The last quote is the one that resonates most loudly with me. "I have a horror of career strategies or programmes. Even in my personal life, I hate making plans. Perhaps I should Interrogate myself more" (Another pause) "Or maybe not. Actors shouldn't have that kind of distance."

No comments: