Thursday, November 22, 2007

Projects

I was impressed to see John Scadding, a fellow member of "The Wild Duck" company, last night in the dressing room committing to memory the story of Sykes' murder of Nancy from Dickens. It was his "project" to learn it by Christmas. The Kitten was present at a recent recounting from memory of "Goodbye Mr Chips" by John and was both impressed and moved by the experience. I am in awe of the self discipline required to commit huge amounts of text to memory and then the storytelling skills required to perform the text in front of an audience.

I want to do something similar, just to keep my memory cells oiled and working at capacity. I have sent off for a book of theatrical monologues as a step in this direction. I also remember a performance of an American short story, "The Janitor" I think, by Alan Jenkins. So I am on the lookout for similar material to learn and perform. I did also think of rejoining the Folk Club in Chichester, where I was given the opportunity to recite poetry as my contribution to the evening of folk music. If I could learn the poems by heart, it would exercise some of those skills I wish to cultivate.

1 comment:

Alice said...

It was called The Placebo, I'm sure. Can't remember who it was by but the piece itself left quite an impression.

The director in me wants to have a bit of a conniption fit at the whole learning-new-lines-while-struggling-over-his-current-lot thing. Calm, Kitten, calm.