Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sitting and thinking

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately and some of the thoughts are beginning to form a coherent whole.

I didn't audition for the Bench production of "The Crucible" in April as I had first intended at the play selection. Vaguely it was part of getting outside of my comfort zone and taking more risks, which is one of my new year resolutions. However on closer analysis I found it was more to do with a possible rehearsal schedule of 30 rehearsals and 8 performances over a pretty solid fortnight. I know it wouldn't be me committed to 30 rehearsals but at three rehearsals on average per week and one of those usually Sunday afternoon this can mean a commitment of 10 weeks and/or 10 Sundays. That is one heck of a time commitment and one I have done regularly now for decades. The number of projects I have deferred because I was in a Bench production is phenomenal. It is probably because I can't multi task, and am lazy/indolent and need an excuse to blame for my lack of application (or am possibly just an old "tart" who needs his time upon the stage topping up at frequent intervals). I have satisfied some of that parenthesised demand (old "tart") by accepting three parts working for Cloak and Dagger, murder mystery dinners. These total 7 rehearsals and 8 performances in the same time scale as I would have been working on "The Crucible". Admittedly the type of work is very different but I am beginning to enjoy more and more the working directly with an audience and staying in character while being questioned at a dinner table. I am also enjoying exercising the old comedy skills, which I enjoyed knocking the rust off in "What the Butler Saw".

I will probably feel the need to exercise my dramatic side at some stage during the year but will look out for those opportunities.

What is the purpose of all this time clearance you may ask? The Great France Walk calls! My health fright on "Butler" shows I cannot blissfully assume that I can do it in my own good time. I need to start putting flesh on the idea. If I am to achieve the dream, I need to develop the ability to walk an "x" number of miles carrying my equipment upon my back in a day. I need to define and refine that word "equipment" down to its basic essentials so that overnight and for the agreed duration of the 'hike' I am self sufficient and self reliant. I need to do some planning and map work, improve my basic French and acquire clothing and gear. But above all I need to do some real walking!

No comments: