Saturday, May 24, 2008

In low gear

At exercise class yesterday, Kate reminded me that I hadn't blogged for a while. There is an article in today's Guardian magazine that says something to the effect that retired people think themselves so busy because they are operating at such a low gear it takes them half a day to buy a newspaper. This morning has been such a morning.

What was even more interesting yesterday was that Kate recounted some of her stories as a company runner at Pinewood Studios working on the James Bond films. I enjoyed these stories thoroughly as you can imagine. I also appreciated the warning that if you start at 0700 you won't finish before 1900 if working on a film. I was fitted out on Wednesday in tails, white shirt and tie, 1930's style. I enjoyed being dressed but found some of the measurements I gave last year have expanded. My 44 chest was now 47 and my slim 42 waist more like 44. The strangest was that my 29 inside leg was actually 31. It was drummed into me that measurements have to be accurate and so I was relieved to find that the dresser was patience personified. I also made the mistake of bringing my white chit home when I should have left it with Lucy of the production company. But an exchange of texts and phone calls sorted out that little touch of inexperience on my part. I am now awaiting a call on the 29th from my agent to tell me the details of the shooting planned for Sunday June 1st. I need to work out how to get to the location in time for a 0645 start.

I was saddened to be informed of the death of one of the parents I knew in my time as deputy head at school. He was only 47 and suffered a massive heart attack last Friday. After my own experience of last year, I can now relate more closely to the experience than ever. But 47 is far too young surely! He was a great bloke who I got on well with over the many years he put three sons through the school. He treated me like a human being rather than a teacher and a deputy head, which is a rare thing, let me tell you, and I have met hundreds if not thousands of Dads in my thirty odd years of teaching. I wrote some words of condolences to his widow to that effect and she has invited me to give a brief eulogy at his funeral this coming Friday. I am now feeling nervous about doing so and I don't usually feel nervous performing these days. It must mean the event means something special to me.

I have spent some blogging time doing reviews on my sister page, "Bench Hamlet 2008", and will review both "Cherry Orchard" at Chichester and "Brassed Off" at Theatre Royal this week. At least I am keeping my theatre going at respectable levels.

I was delighted that Pompey won the Cup even if the manner of victory wasn't as conclusive as I had hoped. I was worried that when Kanu missed his first opportunity that that was going to be it. When he finally scored, I spent the next hour or so up to the final whistle with every muscle clenched in mental and emotional defence of the Pompey goal. I was physically exhausted by the end of the game. I didn't think we ever looked like scoring a second goal but there again I didn't think Cardiff looked like scoring either. The consolation is that it is all now history. The final itself will soon be forgotten and it is Pompey's name on the Cup. Europe next season!

I am thinking I will continue this season's idea of attending Pompey home games but when they are playing away (although what to do about European ties?) to support the Hawks here in Havant. I am still toying with the season ticket idea but want them to get a move on now with new training facilities and above all a new stadium.

No comments: