Friday, August 10, 2007

Elling

I saw "Elling" at the Trafalgar Studios on Wednesday during my solo trip up to London. It was excellent. Besides being very funny, I thought it was quite insightful into modern living. John Simms is all the rage at the moment but he is deservedly so on the evidence of his stage work in "Elling". He plays the eponymous character who we first meet sharing a room with another inmate in a Norwegian asylum. Elling is a "mother's boy", who was placed in the asylum shortly after his mother died and it is soon obvious how much he relied upon her for everything - especially contact with the outside world. With his man mountain side kick he is relocated to an apartment in Oslo by the social services. Under the supervision of Frank, their care worker, they have to prove they can cope or else be shipped back to the asylum. We watch their efforts to do so with amusement at first and then growing empathy as we will them to succeed. The play takes place on a single set with two beds, a wardrobe and a table with three chairs. Clever lighting is used to suggest a multitude of other places outside of the apartment but the apartment is as important a character as the odd couple who inhabit it. All the other characters are played by three actors and yet we get a good account of Oslo as they are all kept busy. As usual, I think this play is well within the compass of the Bench Theatre and I will get hold of a script as soon as possible. However it would take an extraordinary actor to match the performance of John Simms.

I signed a petition and emailed my M.P. yesterday. I did so on behalf of the Iraqi translators who have risked their lives and those of their families to help the British Armed Forces in that unhappy country. It is obvious that the British have retreated to their main base in Basra somewhat prematurely as the area surrounding the base is not fully under their control or that of the fledgling Iraqi army. This means the insurgents can lay ambushes and roadside bombs at leisure. Anyway the retreat in Basra marks the start of a full scale withdrawal in the New Year. There is some discussion as to whether the 91 Iraqi translators and their families should be given British status and allowed to emigrate to the U.K. I strongly feel that there should be no debate these people have risked all for us and we are indebted to them. It would be a betrayal and dishonour to abandon them to what would be a dreadful fate once we have left.

I enjoy CSI programmes and watch unflinchingly as they investigate the human body. Last night though I was watching "House", a medical drama. I was taken aback as I realised I was watching open heart surgery on a young man. Except for the youth of the patient, I realised I could be watching a copy of the experience I underwent on February 2nd (six months anniversary just passed) and it made me pause for thought.

Yesterday I paid for the 10 days in Andalucia Tour organised for me by Debbie at European Rail. The Best Beloved and I depart the last week in September and travel on the way down to southern Spain (and hopefully back) by train. I now need to book the train from Havant to Waterloo and a return 10 days later without Debbie's help.

The holiday comes in the middle of rehearsals for Measure for Measure and The Wild Duck. I have parts in both productions. The former is a professional production by the Bare Bards and the latter is being directed by my Kitten for the Bench Theatre. The end of the year is looking more cheerful theatrically after a barren one generally in theatrical terms.

No comments: