Tuesday, September 19, 2006

New Leaf Turning

Christmas approaches rapidly. Only another 60 working days, or twelve weeks, to go and I will retire from school teaching. This is a job I have been doing for 34 years ( I had six years in a previous life as a building society cashier before spending three years at a college of education as they were then known). It is strange, therefore, to be contemplating a new life. I am looking forward to it and not really enjoying the daily journey into school. I resent the amount of planning and preparation and the assessment that is needed just to stay afloat. Will I miss school? someone asked recently. No it will be good to stop and to get off the treadmill.

I haven't filled in application forms in years (was never very ambitious as a professional) and yet have just completed four over the last fortnight. I am trying to get on an agency's books as a film extra in January. There is no glitter of stardust in my eyes or vainglorious hope of being plucked to stardom from the crowd in the background of a scene. I would like to see how the film industry works and to gain some repayment for all those years spent in the darkened auditorium of cinemas. Cinema is one of my great passions and I am delighted to say one that is shared with my children. My younger daughter is even marrying a young man who is training to join the industry himself (she refers to him as Muleboy in her blog, from which I will refrain in mine, as I have no wish to offend).

I haven't heard anything back yet but most agencies close their books for 2007 at the end of September so there is still a chance. If no-one takes me up I will have to think again about what I am doing next year - but it won't be education in any form or fashion!

No comments: