Saturday, April 22, 2006

The Golden Pathway Annual

I saw The Golden Pathway Annual last night at the Havant Arts Centre. The John Harding and John Burrows play is being presented by the Bench Theatre this week and next. As a Bench member I was doing my front of house usher bit in my Bench Theatre sweatshirt accompanied by Ingrid - she was House Manager for this production.

I knew nothing of the play but had voted for it at the play selection sometime last year. The Bench Theatre, a non-professional theatre (whose link can be found opposite/some photographs can be found on my website at www.frostymarsh.co.uk/gallery/) has an unusual form of play selection. Prospective directors have to bring a proposal for the play they want to do before the gathered membership and "pitch" their idea so it wins sufficient support and votes to be considered for production. It sounds haphazard but has thrown up some interesting seasons and sometimes ones with strong thematic links - unintentional at the time but still there all the same!

This play won my vote because of the director, Sally Hartley. Sally hadn't put forward a play before but is a very experienced and talented actress. Her work off the text in providing a subtextual quality and depth to her performances is wonderful to behold and exemplary for other actors. I looked forward to seeing the final product.
Some bias must now be made clear. During casting Sally chose my son in law, Nathan, as the leading character, Michael Peters, my firstborn, Zoe, as the only woman in the cast of four(and Nathan's wife), and Mark Wakeman, their best man. The fourth member of the cast was Darryl Wakelin who I have had the privilege to work with on "The Weir" and as part of the improvisation workshop team that produces "Dude, Where is my script?" (led by the multi talented Nathan).

I approached last night's performance then with anticipation and was rewarded with an evening of enormous humour and fun. I roared with laughter and yet identified with the characters on stage. Only rarely was I reminded by a mannerism or a hiccup that makes live theatre the unique spectacle that it is that I actually knew the actors behind the people being portrayed. There is an excellent review of the show in the Portsmouth News by James George which I think captures the show very well. (The review is somewhat marred by one of those headlines probably stuck on by a sub-editor which bears little resemblance to the content of the review.)
James George is impressed by Sally's decision to work with only four actors but questions the use of only one actress (the overworked but always effective Zoe Chapman). He was impressed by the simplicity of the staging and set. I love the minimalist approach which allows and requires the actors to act!

I also take a little proprietorial interest and pride in the production photos by young photographer, Katie Anderson. I had suggested Katie to the production team because of her experience working as a photographer on rock band gigs and concerts. Her collection of production stills taken during a dress rehearsal capture the essence of a theatrical endeavour and some of the photographs are just stunning. Katie took on the assignment because she wants to widen her portfolio. If this debut collection is any indication, Katie has real talent ( Some of her work can be seen on www.rock-shots.co.uk/index.php and I hope she will soon upload some of her photos from this production)

If you live in the Havant area, I would heartily recommend this show for a lively, thoroughly entertaining night out. It appeals to the baby boomers like me but the youngsters in last night's audience laughed just as loudly as us oldtimers!

No comments: