Friday, February 26, 2010

BAFTA v Oscar

I was delighted to see the BAFTAs reward "The Hurt Locker" as the superior film by awarding it as Best Film and giving Kathryn Bigelow the Best Director award and Mark Boal best original screen play and a hatful of technical awards as well.

I was sorry that Jeremy Renner did not win Best Actor award but was not surprised to see Colin Firth do so instead. After all these are the British awards. However I would hope to see the situation reversed at the Oscars with American Renner's perfformance being rightly aclaimed. I still think his greatest rival is Jeff Bridges, who won the Golden Globe.

I was pleased that Carey Mulligan won best actress as it ws well deserved but figure the American Oscar vote will go to Gabourey Sidibe in "Precious". I suspect Monique will again be the strong contender for best supporting actress but hope Vera farmiga will pip her at the post at the Oscars.

I love the Award season. Coming up next is a review of "Someone Who'll Watch Over Me" by the Bench Theatre.

No comments: