Saturday, January 10, 2009

My 200th Blog Posting

I am just congratulating myself on reaching the 200 milestone in egocentric blog writing.

Strangely enough I came across a quote in Russell Brand's column at the back of the Saturday Sports Guardian. I have never got on with Russell Brand, not through any moral outrage at his Andrew Sachs stunt on radio with Jonathan Ross, but rather I don't find his brand of humour tickles my funny bone. It could be an age or generation gap thing but I find him too fey for my liking. However I did find this excellent quote and it did remind me that my own personal mindset that the world revolves around me is a fairly general one and not just reserved for my own private psychosis.

Brand is talking about ex-players and ex-girlfriends and says: "Only saints can continue to adore once spurned: when I hear of former girlfriends marrying or having children I am confronted with a world beyond my control - life goes on without me." He suggests they should not be allowed to impinge on the consciousness so that we "can remain blithely fixated on the illusion of self". ([C] Russell Brand, Saturday Guardian, 10/01/2009).

At the moment I am preparing the annual accounts for the Havant Literary Festival Society AGM and reading playscripts for the Bench Theatre Play writing Competition 2009. Neither task is arduous but we are still thinking of taking three days in Boulogne-sur-Mer next week. I had hoped for winter sun but will settle for moules frites and good company.

As I seem to be in the quotation frame of mind, I'll use the following from Oscar Wilde:" To recapture my youth I'd do anything except take exercise or get up early or be respectable."

I do cheat on the exercise as I work out twice weekly with the gorgeous Debbie Hobbs but the last two are beyond the pale. I love lying in with a book and a cup of tea. I am not sure what you have to do to be respectable but if by chance I am it is purely accidental.

No comments: