Monday, August 11, 2008

More research needed

On my sister page, "Bench Hamlet 2008", part of my musings concern a personally remembered history of the Bench Theatre. I have based the articles so far on my own remembering rather than referring to any archive materials or memoribilia. This means that some of the anecdotes are factually unsound but , as I often tell the Best Beloved ( my editor in these sort of endeavours), I am not going to ruin a good story for the sake of the truth.


This opening is by way of an apology for a recent posting about Wrong Way Corrigan. The family historian and archivist, my little Brother, has written to me to point out a large error in my retelling of the story. Apparently Douglas was a contemporary of Charles Lindbergh and an American (Irish-American, though), who flew from America to Ireland and not the other way round. I think the essence of the story is correct but the "begorrahs, oi must have flown the wrong way" in a stage Oirish voice doesn't bear close inspection. My little brother has researched the said Wrong Way Corrigan, hence the title of this posting. This is the long but accurate link for those seekers after truth and enlightenment: http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.100megspop3.com/bark/Corrigan1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.100megspop3.com/bark/DouglasWrongWayCorrigan.html&h=378&w=500&sz=33&hl=en&start=17&um=1&tbnid=lgQGLnvseHCStM:&tbnh=98&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3DCorrigan%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26rlz%3D1T4GGLH_enGB273GB273%26sa%3DG


On Friday got a text message from my agent asking about my availability on September 9th and 10th: "Playing 1920's aristocracy in TV programme for Japan." Naturally I threw my hat into the ring replying well before the deadline of 1430 (I always worry whether the message gets through because you have no real way of knowing, do you? Simple non-technical answers appreciated) so am now awaiting the result of the casting director looking over hundreds of CV and photos and hopefully picking me. I am now locked into that state of suspension so well described in the Natty Chap's blog recently (see link to right of The World of Nathan Chapman). What makes me smile though is the description of the job. If given the chance of "Playing 1920's aristocracy" , I would be in danger of typecasting as I played 1930 German diplomat in my last assignment, with short back and sides and all. Anyone who has ever met me will testify and a glimpse of a photo of me (here I will attempt to insert a headshot of moi) will show that I am of a particular stock that could get away with 'noveau riche' (please let me win the lottery) rather than ancient landed aristocracy. I am hoping that the casting director sees the bluff Englishman that could be lurking within- you know - the Dr Watson, the Colonel Pickering, the Agatha Christie squire, the ex pat absentee lord of the manor. The trouble is it all depends on the photo.

I wouldn't mind playing any of those parts by the way, if there are casting directors out there reading this or directors looking for a Colonel Pickering or Dr Watson. I could just about manage the song from My Fair Lady.
I did miss out on playing a taxi driver in a Rimmel commercial. Now you must admit I could get away with playing a London cabbie with those looks, yeh? With pretty girls around though, my concentration would be sorely stretched. Finally on this subject, I love the idea of making a TV programme for Japan. Surely, this means I would never really have the chance to see it. ("Stop calling me Shirley" - quote from an iconic movie)

No comments: