Monday, April 14, 2008

Showcase

I was going to dazzle you with a photo of me in my new Pompey shirt but I couldn't find it when I wanted it. Mind you, after Pompey v Newcastle on Saturday, when we played like the away team and missed out on the chance of closing the gap on Everton, it may have been a psychological omission rather than a technical one.

I have finally succeeded in adding 2GB of memory chips to my computer rather than the measly 256MB it arrived with. Thank you, Trevor, for the advice, and thank you ,Crucial, for the chips and installation guide.

We are off to the Cockpit Theatre in NW8 today to see Kat perform in a showcase after her work with the London Actors' Workshop over the last three momnths or so. You can read snippets of her activities on her blog, Adventures in Blogland (see links to right). She has to be there from 1.00 p.m. so the Best Beloved thought we would make a day of it ourselves. We intend booking a matinee seat for "Gods of Carnage" this Wednesday. We are visiting the National Portrait Gallery to look at the Bronte family portrait, which has dominated our lives for the last few months (see Bench Hamlet 2008 in links for up to date news of the production). I had hoped to pick up Robert Holman's play, "Jonah and Otto", from the National Theatre Bookshop but may have to postpone that until Wednesday as the Best Beloved doesn't think we will have time to do it today. I suppose we will have to find somewhere to eat in NW8 so she could be right! She usually is but it doesn't make it any easier to take!

I was a bit glum on my last posting especially about the old school. Since then I have been able to have a conversation with an ex colleague and that has cheered me up enormously. She reassured me that I was still a "honorary Waitender" and that felt good to hear. You do get a feeling of dislocation at times in retirement, which is maybe why I have become a more fervent supporter (I am not sure that is possible but it helps my argument) of Pompey this season. I had expected to throw myself with greater fervour and effort into the Bench Theatre, but that hasn't materialised as I expected. I am working hard on trying to get John Sawtell elected as a LibDem councillor here in Bedhampton but feel a little ignorant as to the rules of engagement. I have lived in Bedhampton for an awful long time but it is only now that I could tell you which streets comprise Bedhampton and what issues beset the place. Being a Waitender for 21 years was time consuming and I knew more about the school and its catchment area than I did about the place where I live. It is a danger that all my ex colleagues should be wary of and that a private life (the desired work/life balance) is of the utmost importance as a person and as a professional. I am now looking forward to the evening meal being planned for the retiring headteacher and will probably behave disgracefully!

1 comment:

Trevor Hare said...

Glad you are happy with my advice (maximising the RAM) and with Crucial UK. I hope you ntoice some improvement. More RAM means the system is 'paging' a lot less.

Paging = Grabbing virtual memory 'pages' from your hard-drive rather than having enough real memory ready at-hand, a slower process because paging from the hard-drive is dog slow. RAM works at or near the speed of the system bus.

I was also in London today with daughter number 2.

St. James and Kensington and Chelsea. A bi-annual pilgrimage to Penhaligons in Burlington arcade to restore our family supplies of 'smellys'. (Endymion for me, Lavendula, Elizathethan Rose and Ellenisia for the women-folk.)

A trip to J.J Fox at 19 St James for a Romeo y Julieta 47 gauge Cuban cigar of the same size and brand preferred by Churchill (£14.75 each!) to go with a nice glass of Port this evening. (The same bottle documented here at Christmas.) Daughter #2 was allowed to sit in Churchill's favourite chair at their little 'musuem downstairs.

A guided tour from the friendly staff at John Lobb Ltd, St James,(Bootmakers)...

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/main/main.htm

...where daughter #2 was astonished to be allowed to hold the wooden shoe 'lasts' of Madonna, Princess Elizabeth, Jackie Kennedy/Onassis and others (Cary Grant for instance). I can report that the Queen had/has tiny feet and that Madonna favours Lobb for her walking shoes. The waiting list is 18 months and a basic pair of men's brogues = £2230 + VAT. Once the 'lasts' are completed it takes a craftsman about 3 days to make the shoes...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/110/309612099_78953361f5_o.jpg

(a photo I took a few years ago at Lobb's)

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/114/315826921_052f323530_o.jpg

(my photo of Churchill's favourite chair at J.J. Fox, his cigar suppliers also from a few years ago.)

We caught the Natural History Museum for an hour or so and ate 'Sicilian' in Kensington/Chelsea where the homemade lemonade was fantastic!

We also saw a Lizard on a bicycle, ferrets on a lead, a pelican (possibly the notorious one that ate the pigeon), but we did not see Boris Johnson, alas. Daughters 1 & 2 both saw him on a previous visit and are also great fans of his strangely. He cracks them up. I will buy his latest paperback on Roman history (The Dream of Rome) for her tomorrow to make up for it as she embarks upon an AS level in Roman & Greek history (amongst others) at college in September.

Thats it. Where is my cigar?

KBO.