Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Optimising and safeguarding my computer

"Most teachers are part-time IT pros at their schools so I expect you are pretty experienced in optimising and safeguarding PCs."

Thus spake Trevor Hare as a comment on the end of a previous post.

I have looked up adding 2GB of memory to my operating system, using the Crucial UK System scanner tool. I will do this soon. At present it is running on 256 Mb., so will multiply by 8.

I have downloaded the Acronis True Image system on a 15 day trial to provide me with a back up system.

I have downloaded the Mozilla browser although, out of laziness, still tend to use Internet Explorer.

The defragmenting software has been downloaded and is in use.

Norton 360 regularly scans my system and provides a firewall.

I am impressed by the Dell Latitude D630 laptop but am also struck by a Toshiba model.

A cable broadband and a wireless network join two computers at present but we have the capacity to include a laptop for working downstairs or in the garden.

Googlemail is my free email service, as well as using my ntlworld and frostymarsh email servers.

I was lucky enough at school to work alongside Steve Long, a very gifted ICT technician, and before him, the lovely Lynne Tandy. I learned a lot from both but want to thank Trevor for all the advice given. I have learned even more in these past few days.

No comments: