Sunday, February 17, 2008

Unheroic

I have just had a glass of cognac to round off the weekend but am feeling distinctly unheroic.

I decided not to stand as a candidate in the local borough elections in May this year. I took advice from Best Beloved and close friends before deciding it wasn't for me. I am still thinking about county council elections in 2009 but maybe the same reasons will dissuade me then as did this time. I have a splurge personality and can throw myself into an endeavour with a will and a real fervour. I believe I could have managed the elections but then would have found holding the post difficult. I like theatrical works because they are always of a limited duration. People who don't know me see me as extrovert. However those who know me well know that I am an introvert and that I act as a means of disguising this fact. The social aspects of being a councillor would have eventually worn me down. I think I could have coped with the paperwork and reading, the committee meetings and the full council. I am not sure I would have liked the political infighting as I am not particularly thick skinned just thick! The worst aspect, however, was the imposition of a new structure of time. I am coming round to the idea of a February winter sun break, a holiday in June and another one in September, especially if these are in term time, away from families and children. Being a councillor would mean being restricted to the recess month of August. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt, didn't like it that much and don't want to go there again.

I am also interested in doing an M.A. in Theatre. Portsmouth University do one but I am not sure that my second class Bachelor of Education (Hons) is a good enough entry level. I am quite proud of my degree. I went to College in the late sixties when the degree courses were just starting to be offered for teachers. At the time I didn't want to put in the extra year of study and settled for a Certificate of Education with Distinction. Looking back and knowing what i know now I would probably stay on for that degree. Instead I waited until I had been teaching for about seven years and had two daughters before signing up for a three year part time degree course at was then Bishop Otter College, Chichester. Boy, was that a tough three years but I ended up with a second class Honours degree and two toddlers. I don't know whether I have the academic cojones to do it but next Tuesday i am going to the Postgraduate Open Day and finding out.

My second hope is that I can, with the help of my mate, David, get a local touring theatre company launched. A friend, Tim Taylor, runs the cloak and dagger murder mystery company and I'd like to run a similar troupe doing theatrical things. I am already talking to Herself about doing a Conor Macpherson monologue, which would come neatly under the auspices of our touring theatre company.

Okay I began this posting feeling unheroic but I seem to have a bit of a plan coming along - a cunning plan in fact. Pass the cognac.

2 comments:

Trevor Hare said...

You should be teaching an MA in theatre studies.

As for politics, sewer workers generally start young when their ability to resist infection is at it's highest and whilst they still have the stamina to wade through miles of shit every day.

That is where the analogy ends. Whereas sewer workers play a vital part in the well-being and health of society, politicians just stink the place up.

Please, please don't join them. You are too good a person.

Peter said...

Herself, having taken my (and the Mothership) to see the Conor Macpherson monologue, I'm convinced that:
a) you would enjoy doing it and
b) be very good.